After Shell company bought the estate in 1897 from Lapraik Cass & Co.,
it immediately built a succession of three oil tanks with a capacity of 2,500 tons,
1,200 tons and 60 tons respectively. Because of the lateral railway built for oil
transport, "Shell Warehouse" was listed as the No.34 bombing target during the
Japanese Colonial Period. On October 12, 1944 the oil tanks were bombed and
destroyed by the American military. This incident evolved into a folk story
referred to as the "smelly burning oil tank". Now only a few tank foundations remain.